Saturday, August 6, 2011

Get involved with community politics in my original hometown?

Gone for 15 years and just moved back to my old community and live in a city nearby. I ran into a guy from high school at costco and he started telling me about a bunch of grants and a program helping people live better lives in my old city. This guy is currently the coordinator for this program which helps to get the general public involved a la "grassroots" to make change happen for underserved people. The program is legit and is funded by the state. Anyway, I have been experiencing alot of guilt lately thinking that maybe I could help out. At the same time I have been thinking as well as talking to native/local family relatives who tell me that what they are doing is GOOD but in essence a lost cause. My problem is that I dont feel it in my heart enough to want to really get fully involved. My concern is that my head is elsewhere as I secretly desire to maybe move on with my life again to another city. I am confused what to do? I also find it difficult to identify with some of the issues raised in my old town as I have been a very privleged individual. Is there anyone that can shed some light as to whether you have been in this similar circumstance. What I am asking is have you personally made the deicsion to just sit on the sidelines and just live your life as opposed to getting involved in community politics/support?

0 comments:

Post a Comment